Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving...A Few Days Late

Although I'm a few days late, I thought I should still go ahead and post my "what I'm thankful for" list, so here it is:

  1. My husband, Eric. Each year, I love him more than the last, and I'm so thankful to have a marriage that brings so much joy to my life.
  2. The rest of my family...my parents and my in-laws, my sister and sister- and brother-in-laws, and my niece Bella and nephew Max (they are so funny and brilliant!).
  3. All of the great friends I've made here in Abilene and beyond...you know who you are.
  4. My colleagues. I work with great Christians whom I admire and respect. They provide such wonderful examples of Christ-likeness. It's a blessing to be able to imitate them because I know they're imitating Christ.
  5. My church family. I have had the opportunity to be a part of two congregations which I considered to be true family: Immanual Lutheran Church in Jackson, MI, and Highland Church of Christ in Abilene, TX. Although I am no longer with them, my family at Immanuel, and especially Pastor Erick, influenced my spiritual walk beyond what I can describe here (maybe that will be a later post), and I thank God for them often. My family at Highland has been just as meaningful. Highland is a large congregation (approx. 2000 members), and although it is impossible to know everyone, I have been able to form meaningful relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ through Bible classes, through my small group, and through opportunities to serve alongside the larger community.
  6. My students. Being able to teach graduate students is a privilege. They think critically, they ask difficult questions, and they push me to expand my own knowledge. They are also so much fun! I love being able to joke and laugh with them.
  7. My cats. Some of you who are not cat people may disagree with this, but cats are great pets! If Oscar and Cassie were not a part of my life, I know I would be more stressed. I can always count on Cassie to give me more love and affection than I want most of the time, and when Oscar is in the mood to cuddle, it makes my day!
  8. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The opportunity to be in relationship with the triune God is the greatest blessing in life.

This list could go on and on, but the people (and animals) I've mentioned are those who enrich my life with meaning, contentment, and joy. If you're included in the people on this list, thank you for the privilege to be a part of your life. May the atmosphere of Thanksgiving be evident in your lives throughout the year.

2 comments:

Mauri said...

Great post! We all have so much to be truly grateful for. I am thankful for you and your friendship!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

Hey I'm glad you are thankful for us!!! Maybe next semester I'll talk in class then you'll really be thankful!!! hope you had a good thanksgiving!!