Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Other Side of the Street

A Prayer by Walter Brueggemann

Just when we imagine that we have you figured out
you show up working the other side of the street
in your frightening freedom.
You meet us behind and before
as promise and as threat,
and we are overmatched whenever we sit to deal with you.
So we bid you to pay less vigorous attention to us
and we bid you to give us the freedom and courage
that we may withstand you
in ways that are proper to you and to us.
We pray in the name of the utterly humble One
whom you therefore exalted.
Give us wisdom and freedom
that we may sense the ways in which we may best live in this world
where the last become first and the first become last. Amen.

7 comments:

Shelly said...

Hi Jaime! Welcome to the blogosphere.
I love your new blog name. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the sacred and the mundane and everything in between.

Mauri said...

YAY! I'm glad you are here. Between your blog and Shelly's, I'm looking forward to some enlightenment!

Mauri said...

P.S. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. Glad Chris and I can redeem your faith in marriage. Ha!

Mauri Westbrook, B.S.*
*Sorry, I couldn't resist! Your comments made me laugh!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

Welcome to bloggerville!!!

Wendy said...

Just found this from your comment on Mauri's blog, and I'm glad Jaime Goff, PhD, has a blog too! Great title.

Jenn Walker said...

I am so impressed...with you for starting a blog, and with myself for figuring out how to leave a comment for you! I even have my own password to do so. My group of non-blogging friends is quickly diminishing, and it will be up to me to keep us from becoming extinct. Nonetheless, I am impressed with all of you bloggers!

Unknown said...

Jaime,
Thank you for inviting me to visit your blog, and for being willing to share your thoughts with us. I have added the site to "my favorites" and look forward to visiting it regularly! I'm also thankful for an additional avenue by which I can stay in touch with my daughter-in-law! Love,Cecelia