Saturday, February 2, 2008

Out of Commission

This has been quite a week. Last weekend, I had the privilege to speak at the Zoe conference in Fresno, CA, and after an eventful trip home due to bad weather and flight cancellations, I finally arrived home on Monday evening. With a temperature...and as I would find out on Wednesday upon visiting the doctor, with the flu. I have never been so sick in my entire life. I had a 102 temperature for 4 days, the worst aches and pains I have ever felt, and sinus congestion that could not be alleviated. I did nothing but lie on the couch for the entire week. Eric took wonderful care of me, carting me to the doctor's office and making endless trips to the drug store and grocery store. At one point, he jokingly said to me, "Isn't it weird that you have something that some people die from?" My life, of course, wasn't in danger. But the sad truth of that question penetrated me later as I thought about all the people who will get the flu who don't have insurance to pay for their doctor visit and who don't have the $30 (more without insurance, I'm sure) to pay for the 10 pills that will kill the virus. Despite feeling awful, ultimately, at the end of this week of illness, I'm thankful...thankful for a job that allows me to miss a week of work and provides health and prescription insurance; thankful for a comfortable home in which to heal; and thankful for a husband who is attentive and caring. I hope that I'll continue to appreciate these things as the memory of my bout with the flu fades.

4 comments:

Jenny Wilkinson said...

So you were really sick! Glad you are better but sorry you had such a rough week.

Shelly said...

Glad to hear you are at least feeling well enough to blog. We missed you last night at GH. I attempted to jump-kick off the couch and possibly frightened Eric. You would have laughed.

Mauri said...

This is a classic Goff moment. Eric says a comment that makes me laugh, and Jaime takes it to the next level with thoughtful analysis and contemplation. : ) So glad you are feeling better!

P.S. Shelly was a little scary with the jump-kick off the couch.

Leah said...

I am glad that you are feeling better. The first 3 years of teaching every Valentines week (or Michael's birthday in our house) I would get deathly ill from the flu. I would have to miss a week of work and have to visit the DR. mulitple times. I know it is awlful! About another week until you feel better. But 1 plus-I could always wear those "skinny" jeans after. :)